Two days after calling on Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to release all communications between the State Department and the U.S. Mission in Libya leading up to this month's attacks, which killed a U.S. ambassador, Sen. Bob Corker called the agency's handling of the situation in recent weeks "nothing short of Benghazigate."
The senator's remarks were in reference to the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, which killed Ambassador J. Chris Stevens and three of his colleagues.
Commenting on the Fox News show "Happening Now" on Thursday, Corker, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he had "become very suspicious" about the administration's handling of the matter—to the point that he suspected that there could possibly be signs of a cover-up.
Corker said he had not received a response from Clinton or any State Department official regarding his letter.
"Something is wrong here," Corker said. "Something is up here, and we are not getting the most basic information that I think most Americans would want us to have."
The senator and former Chattanooga mayor said he thought the media knew more about the situation than members of his committee and described his concerns as "very bipartisan" and not politically motivated. Corker added that he was confused as to why information on the attacks would not be shared when he and his colleagues regularly met for "classified and secure" briefings.
"There has to be something that they're trying to cover up," he said. "We just want answers."
Prior to his letter, Corker partnered with Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., to introduce a bill that would require a timely investigation into any attacks between Sept. 11 and 13.
During his remarks on the show, the senator said the bill had been effectively blocked.