Nearly seven weeks after a U.S. ambassador and three American staffers were killed in an attack on a U.S. consulate in Libya, Sen. Bob Corker continues to call on the Obama administration to be clearer in its response to the matter.
This time, the senator is calling on the president himself.
In a statement issued Saturday, Corker and Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., said that President Barack Obama should “come clean” about the Sept. 11 attack in Benghazi. They senators are among several Republican lawmakers pressing for more information regarding the lead-up and initial response to the situation.
Directly addressing the president, Corker and Isakson suggested information was being deliberately hidden by the president’s staff. The senators did not specifically reference any details that they hoped to see come forward regarding the attack.
“As the truth about what happened in Benghazi on the night of Sept. 11 continues to trickle out, it’s becoming more apparent that the administration’s lack of truthfulness seems to emanate from a desire to hide something from the American people,” Corker and Isakson said in the news release. “After almost two months have passed, it’s time for the president to finally come clean and order his administration to fully disclose all communications relevant to the security situation in Benghazi. Surely the deaths of four civilian public servants warrant that action.”
It is not the first time Corker and Isakson have offered comment together regarding Benghazi. Last month, the senators called on Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to release all communication that was relevant to the security situation at the consulate in the days and months leading up to the attack.
Both Corker and Isakson are members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.