Hamilton County residents can drop off their trees for recycling at any time of day at any of the household recycling centers throughout the month of January.

Each center has a designated space outside the gate for old trees, officials said.

Curbside tree recycling can be requested by calling 311 or entering a request online here.


The trees will be used by the Tennessee Department of Wildlife and Forestry Division and the Hamilton County Highway Department.

State officials with the Department of Wildlife then submerge the trees as “fish attractors”; and the Highway Department chips the trees into mulch for walking trails, landscaping and landfill ground cover.

Residents can pick up mulch from the chip yard on Standifer Gap at no charge.

Household recyclables are accepted at the centers during normal hours, including electronics at certain locations.

Updated @ 10:19 a.m.on 12/28/12 to add more information as it became available.