KNOXVILLE – Tennessee has confirmed the addition of 11 members to coach Butch Jones’ football support staff.
The most notable addition is former Vol and All-SEC defensive back Terry Fair, who will serve as the defensive quality control coach. Fair was a four-year starter in Knoxville before being drafted 20th overall by the Detroit Lions in 1998. He played with the Lions, Panthers and Rams from 1998-2005, recording 215 tackles and seven interceptions.
The 36-year-old Phoenix native spent three years as an assistant coach at a junior college in Arizona before transitioning into the media.
Jones talked about the important of having “Tennessee guys” on his staff during his introductory press conference. He retained running backs coach Jay Graham, who played for the Vols. Now Fair gives him a second staff member with direct UT ties.
“It's really important to for our players and understanding that there are some players that have been there, done that and gone through the trials and tribulations and understanding of where to go,” Jones said on Dec. 7. “I'm going to work extremely hard to get that component on our staff."
Full list of Tennessee’s support staff:
J.R. Sandlin, Director of Recruiting
• Part of Alabama’s recruiting staff from 2010-12
Chris Spognardi, Assistant to the Head Coach
• Has worked with head coach Butch Jones for the last six years
Mike Szerszen, Associate Strength Coach
• Was the director of football strength and conditioning at Cincinnati from 2011-12
Greg Adamson, Assistant Strength Coach
• Was the assistant strength and conditioning coach at Winthrop from 2011-12
Brandon Myles, Assistant Strength Coach
• Spent the last two seasons as an offensive assistant at Cincinnati
Cody Kempt, Offensive Graduate Assistant
• Former Montana State quarterback was a GA at Cincinnati last season
Joe Bernardi, Offensive Quality Control
• Former center at Fresno State has been at Tennessee the last two seasons
Chase Gibson, Defensive Graduate Assistant
• Was a defensive GA at Cincinnati last season
Larry Knight, Defensive Graduate Assistant
• Played for jones at Central Michigan, was a defensive GA at Cincinnati last season
Terry Fair, Defensive Quality Control
• (see above)
Greg Meyer, Special Teams Quality Control
• Had stints as an intern at South Florida and Mississippi State
Keith Pantling, Recruiting Assistant
• Former director of recruiting operations at Cincinnati