The 25 nonprofits set to compete for $35,000 in prize money during a citywide geocaching event were named this afternoon.
The Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga announced earlier this week a geocaching event designed for local organizations to win a sizable amount of cash. The event is a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the foundation.
The Greater Race: A GeoCASH Adventure will take place Sept. 13, beginning at 10 a.m.
Each of the 25 teams (listed below) will consist of four team members. Over 100 charities were invited to participate. To be eligible, a charity must have received a grant for a main endowment fund for the past three years.
The final 25 were chosen at random from those willing to participate.
The first-place team will receive $20,000, second place will win $10,000, and third place will win $5,000.
Spectators and participants can attend a party at the First Tennessee Pavilion during and after the race.
Click here to read more about The Greater Race.
The following nonprofits were chosen to compete in the event:
- Bess T. Shepard Elementary
- Creative Discovery Museum
- First Baptist Shower Ministry
- Volunteers in Medicine, Chattanooga
- Public Education Foundation
- Chattanooga Area Food Bank
- Siskin Children's Institute
- Northside Neighborhood House
- Caldsted Foundation Inc.
- Second Life Chattanooga
- Apison Elementary School
- VetForce 1
- Tennessee Aquarium
- Ganns Middle Valley Elementary School
- Ballet Tennessee
- Young Women's Leadership Academy Foundation
- Chattanooga High School Center for Creative Arts
- Richmont Graduate University
- Legal Aid of East Tennessee
- Signal Centers Inc.