The Chattanooga Police Department and the Hamilton County Coalition recently conducted compliance checks at area convenience stores to make sure clerks weren't selling to minors, and five stores didn't pass the inspection.
On May 15, an 18-year-old buyer went into stores and attempted to buy alcohol.
Clerks at 20 stores asked for identification and then refused the sale. Clerks at five stores didn't.
The five stores that sold to the underage buyer are set to appear before authorities June 1.
Any penalties imposed upon businesses that violate this law are determined by the Chattanooga Beer and Wrecker Board.
The stores that weren't in compliance were:
- Mapco, 1265 E. 3rd St.
- Ria's Food Mart, 804 Broad St.
- Circle K, 1005 Hixson Pike
- Harry's, 3640 Hixson Pike
- Discount Mart, 4300 Norcross Road
Those in compliance were:
- Allied Quik Stop, 1300 N. Holtzclaw Ave.
- Speedway, 330 E. Third St.
- Kanku's, 101 Glenwood Drive
- Fredrick's, 1207 Dodds Ave.
- Ace Food Mart, 2100 E. Main St.
- Kanku's, 2115 Dodds Ave.
- Hi-Tech, 2300 Fourth Ave.
- Mystik, 2413 Fourth Ave.
- Citgo Express Mart, 3900 Dodds Ave.
- Mystik, 5400 Rossville Blvd.
- Nine Brothers, 101 W. 38th St.
- Southside Market, 202 W. 38th St.
- Kanku's, 1910 S. Market St.
- Circle K, 902 Dallas Road
- Mapco, 3637 Hixson Pike
- Harry's, 4301 Norcross Road
- Circle K, 5501 Highway 153
- Hi-Tech, 5124 Hixson Pike
- Sav-a-Ton, 5701 Highway 153
- Rossville Boulevard Corner Market, 3700 Rossville Blvd.