The Public Education Foundation and Hamilton County Department of Education have picked ideas and educators for inclusion in this year’s TeacherPreneur Incubator.
“TeacherPreneur has been, for three years now, a showcase for the innovative and entrepreneurial thinking our educators bring to Hamilton County, and we’re excited, with the support of Benwood Foundation, to announce the fourth cohort of TeacherPreneurs,” PEF President Dr. Dan Challener said in a prepared statement.
TeacherPreneur Incubator is part of an initiative that offers teachers support, time and space to incubate and execute ideas that will benefit Hamilton County students, the teaching profession and the community.
Selected participants will spend the summer honing their ideas and collaborating with partners from the city’s entrepreneurial and education communities before taking part in 48-Hour Launch and pitching their ideas to the community July 30.
The ideas came from a diverse group of 18 elementary, middle and high schools in Hamilton County.
The projects are:
- A digital badging and microcredentialing platform for teacher professional development
- A program to build connections between elementary students and elders in long-term care through computer science, art and music
- A pilot program focused on integrating restorative disciplinary practices, reducing suspensions and building relationships
- An app that makes keeping track of vital student information easier during field trips
- A student-designed and -built drone racing obstacle course for Hamilton County
The educators participating are:
- Beth Wilson, Red Bank Elementary
- Chris Cooper, Ooltewah Middle
- Colby Williams, East Hamilton Middle High
- Dan Basler, Lookout Valley Middle High
- Danielle Morgan Hooper, Central High
- Emily Halbert, Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy
- Erica Walker, Calvin Donaldson Elementary
- John Cunningham, Brainerd High
- Lisa Blakely, Big Ridge Elementary
- Genise Fletcher, Tyner Academy
- Magan Lampard, Wolftever Creek Elementary
- Sue Williamson, STEM School Chattanooga
- Mary Manning, Red Bank High
- Drew Akins, Red Bank High
- James Stone, Red Bank High
- Matthew Craig, Red Bank Middle and Red Bank High
- Mendi Catlett, Harrison Elementary
- Olivia Bagby, Red Bank High
- Sara Durst, East Lake Elementary
- Sara Southard, Harrison Elementary
- Shannon Seigle, STEM School Chattanooga
- Shela Brazeale, Central High
- Tara Tharp, Signal Mountain Middle High
- Ty Campbell, Ooltewah Middle
- Kelly Davis, Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences