Fire crews responded to a call at Midnite Oil gas station in Ooltewah Thursday morning, NewsChannel 9 reported.

Advertisement

Local resident Brian Smith captured the below video.

A spokesman with the Chattanooga Fire Department said the fire damage was contained to the shop area, but there is some smoke and water damage to the office.

The rest of the building and gas pumps were all spared from the fire, according to a news release.

The dollar loss is estimated at $300,000, but the firefighters saved a business worth $1.5 million.

Owner Steve Ray told firefighters that he and some employees were draining a gas tank and that he thought they had plenty of ventilation to keep the fumes from building up. But he said the fumes found an ignition source and a fire started, according to a news release.

Ray tried to use portable fire extinguishers to put the fire out, but they were ineffective.

“I’m just glad no one got hurt,” Ray also said. “I have insurance and things can be replaced.”

Investigators said the cause appears to be accidental, but what exactly sparked the fire is still under investigation.

Updated @ 3:28 p.m. on 2/8/17 to add more information.

Advertisement