Police are investigating a deadly shooting that happened on the Southside early Sunday. (Photo: LWP Communications, Flickr)

Chattanooga police are investigating a Sunday morning shooting that left one person dead and prompted a local business to close until further notice. 

The Chattanooga Police Department responded to a shooting call outside Southside Social on the 1800 block of Chestnut Street at 1:27 a.m.

Upon arrival, officers found two female victims in a vehicle suffering from gunshot wounds.


Emergency responders took both women to a hospital, where one of them died. The other victim is in stable condition, police said.

Authorities are not naming the victims at this time and are working to notify family members, according to a news release.

Chattanooga Police Department’s Violent Crimes Bureau responded to investigate and interview witnesses. 

Patrons leaving Southside Social at the time of the incident told police that a dark-colored vehicle was traveling southbound on Chestnut Street when someone in the car opened fire into the victims’ vehicle, which was traveling northbound.

Authorities said no suspect information is available now and they are following up on all actionable leads.

Chattanooga police are asking anyone with information to call the homicide tip line at 423-643-5100.

Callers can remain anonymous, and all tips go directly to investigators, according to a news release.

A spokesman for Southside Social, which is owned by local developer John Wise, said the business is closing after the incident:

In response to the shooting on the street outside Southside Social early this morning, the management is closing the establishment until further notice and will assist in any way we can during the investigation being conducted by the Chattanooga Police Department. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the families involved in this tragic situation.

In February 2017, Southside Social management shared its dress code online in an effort to inform patrons about the rules, which the business’ leaders implemented partly because they think gang members have frequented the establishment.

That move created backlash and prompted clarification from management on the issue.

The business opened in March 2015.

Updated @ 7:50 a.m. on 2/19/18 to correct typographical errors.